February 13, 2007

Day One....

Ohhh I have so much to tell you and so very little time. I'm actually keeping a notebook so I don't forget this crap, it's that good. But it's been early mornings, long LONG days and late nights. This is the first I've even turned on the laptop. I was thrilled to hear Michele was keepin' y'all in the loop. Keep checking over there, cause you neverr know if I'll get a chance to post or not......

And I should be running out the door in the next little bit, but I woke up early JUST to do this. So let's just hope I do this week so far justice.

Saturday morning flight? Fantastic!! Seriously. Roomy, smooth, on time. Landed in NYC and my boss and I grabbed a cab to the hotel, checked in dropped the luggage and met up in the lobby. Gotta get that damn booth set up.

Get to Javitz and...wait, where are the OTHER boxes? The boxes from California? Long story short? Yeah, California shipping folks said they are here. NYC receiving folks say no way in hell. I called, I begged, I badgered. No good. We need samples and we need 'em now.

Learned that one of our larger customers has a store near by. We hire a car (ouch!) which turns out to be a vintage 1972 limo. Should be a 45 min. drive tops. We got 2 1/2 hours before closing. Should be good.

Or not. Guys is lost. His girlfriend is lost. Did I mention he brought her along? Yeah, he did. Anyway - 1 hour. 2 hours. I finally call the store and through yelling and sign language I get the driver to the store. Run in and powershop. RUNNING through the store, throwing shit in the cart. We had 10 minutes.

As we're checking out, we find the kid that gave me directions in. My boss took down his information and sent it to corporate for being so GREAT! In line behind us was a very interesting gentleman. Yeah, that's the best way to put it. He made a real impression on me. We chatted breifly, and then we headed to the limo.

Which was empty. Oh wait...the driver is buying a pizza. It seems his girlfriend is hungry. Now keep in mind, we hadn't eatten all day and it's now 9:00pm. Boss gets a bit testy about now, I don't know what he said inside that resturant but it worked. The driver came running out.

Finally around 10:30 we get back to the hotel. I haul the samples to my room and we collapse. That alarm was gonna be killer at 5:00 the next morning....

And it was. But, it's also the way it goes. We needed to be at Javitz by 8:00 to finish setting up.

As we walk down the aisle I see 5 boxes sitting on my table in the booth with one of the guys who had been helping me standing there with a smile on his face.

He was there extra early that morning SEARCHING for my stuff. He found it on a loading dock far far away.

My boss was just standing there amazed. "I can't believe they found them".

Tammi. "Of course they found them. Mama Vi prayed. I never had a doubt......"

That was just day one......wait til you hear about my dinner with Jimbo, the dancing cornstalk, and how small this world really is.....

Posted by Tammi at February 13, 2007 06:50 AM | TrackBack

The dancing cornstalk? O M Goodness... what? we didn't get to talk about that! LOL! I can't wait to hear THAT story.

See, that's the best part about having people come to NYC, I get to hear/see life from their perspective and it is soooo funny!

Posted by: michele at February 13, 2007 01:25 PM

I'll let Tammi tell the story. It was, to say the least, a helluva night.

Posted by: Jim - PRS at February 13, 2007 06:38 PM
Post a comment

Remember personal info?